Sunday, April 20, 2008

Taydoms's Project



A few weeks a go Taydom brought home an assignment to learn about an animal, write a short report and them make its habitat. Taydom choose the Polar Bear. We found a great National Geographical TV show that Taydom watched and found out some really cool information about the Polar Bear. We checked out some books from the library and we enjoyed reading them together. Writing his report took about a week. It was long hard work but we did a little each night. Building the habitat was fast fun. One night Taydom panted the blue and white to make it look like the snow and the water. When it dried I sprinkled some extra fine glitter on the water to make it look shiny and icy I sprayed sticky spray glue on the white and Taydom ripped apart some soft polyfill and stick it to the extra sticky spray glue. He did not like it when he touched the very sticky glue. It was coming together nicely. The water and snow look really cool. Taydom wanted the snow to sparkle too. I then sprayed a very small amount of glue of the top of the snow and then added some glitter. It did not show up too well so I hunted around the house and found some left over sequence I had from a Halloween costume. It was white and shinny, and just worked perfectly. I was afraid that the sticky glue would attracted other thinks so I wanted it to dry. I heated up my embossing tool and tried to dry the glue. It dried the glue but it also started to melt the polyfill. I wanted to stop but Taydom liked the melting and so I continued. It made a thin crust on top that really look cool.
I drove Taydom to school the morning it was due just to make sure nothing happened. Later that day the first graders hosted an "Animal Home Show". All the first grades sat by their habitats and told each person anything and everything about their report and animal's habitat. It was so fun to see all the different projects that everyone did. I loved to see Taydom so proud.

1 comments:

Karen Croft said...

Taydom, I think your polar bear habitat is perfect! You did a great job!